Few tech-related trends over the last year have united people across industries like the electric vehicle (EV) segment has. In addition to helping achieve a “greener” society, electric mobility has become a platform to feature the latest engineering and innovation milestones. As the EV segment continues to generate coverage and attract attention, consumers will recognize that EV innovation is no longer limited to a singular car company or specific visionaries. At CES 2022, we expect to see various newcomers emerge as serious competitors aiming to take consumers into the next phase of auto evolution.
Important developments expected to impact CES this year include the following:
- A giant automobile manufacturer striving to be fully electric by 2035
- Cross-industry tech partnerships assisting with the electrification of fleets
- A number of automakers introducing electric pickup trucks, and even semis
- The White House outlining a plan for 50% of vehicles to be EV by 2030
BCW’s data science and analytics team noted that as the announcements rolled in, so did the increases in earned-media coverage, seeing a 20% increase in sampled online social interactions year-over-year (YOY).
This was led by several topics, mainly:
- “Sustainability,” which saw an increase of 128% YoY in interactions,
- “Innovation” (+59%)
- “Engineering” (+37%)
From increasingly rapid charging and longer battery optimization to equipping EVs with the fully smart experience, 2022 will be a year to watch as electric vehicles will continue to eat market share. And while 2021 saw only 2.6% of EV sales from the entirety of the market, sales are likely to double in 2022 as these cars become more accessible and efficient in our daily lives.